What are the top 10 questions you need to ask when you are building a new home?
1 . How long have they been in the business?
- Track record and custom reviews
- Proper systems in place to handle customer service and errors
- Solid contractors to ensure your home is build in the time that was agreed.
- Proper people in place to help you with home upgrades and color selections.
2. How about making custom changes?
- How are custom changes addressed?
- Do you require non refundable money on these types of upgrades and changes?
- Can structural changes be made?
3. Neighborhood Amenities What is included?
- Are their pools or gyms through out the neighborhood & are the included.
- Some HOA may take care of your front landscape
- Are any utilities covered such as Cable/Internet
- Are there any specific restrictions you should be aware of?
- Are there any types of resale fees you have to pay when selling in the neighborhood.
4. Third Party Inspections
- Do you provide any third party inspections after or during the build job?
- If not will you work with a inspector I hire?
5. Direct Contact
- Who will be my direct contact?
- Who will also help me if things are not correct?
6. Access to the home
- When can I access the house when it is close to completion.
- Do I need to schedule an appointment.
- If we have any types of disagreements. Who would be my point of contact and how will that be handled? This includes any changes to the home.
- Can you explain if changes are made what is the step process?
- What changes are not allowed and what are.
- What are not allowed after certain building stages have already passed.
9. Warranty Repairs
- After we have closed on our home. How are home warranty repairs handled?
10. 1 Year Home Warranty
- Most builders offer a 1 year home warranty.
- If anything happens such as plants dying for no reason, water not draining properly after it rains, cracks in sheetrock ect….. The builder may cover most of these things.
- Ask what is covered in the 1 year home warranty.
If you have any questions about the building process or need help with buying a new home. Feel free to contact us and visit our new homes buyer center.